RefWorks allows you to manage all the references you have used in your assignments or research.
New RefWorks Users
- Create and organise a library of references that you can access via the web
- Store and annotate the PDFs of articles
- Import references from bibliographic databases and other information sources
- Cite while you write using add-in Word/Google Docs features
- Automatically create bibliographies
Existing RefWorks Users
Why should you upgrade to new RefWorks?
- Store, view and annotate PDFs
- Tag your references
- Quick Cite function
- Save to RefWorks browser button
- Word 2016 citation toolbar (Add-In)
- Google Docs citation toolbar (Add-In)
New RefWorks has lots of extra features:
When should you upgrade to new RefWorks?We had previously advised people to upgrade by September 2017 - this advice has now changed:
New RefWorks and legacy RefWorks will now both be available to use during the 2017/18 academic year to allow you to upgrade to new RefWorks at a time that suits you.
- If you are currently working on your thesis and it will be submitted before the end of July 2018 then we recommend that you continue to use legacy RefWorks.
- This is because new RefWorks will not work with citations and references already inserted into existing documents with legacy RefWorks.
- If you are near the start of your PhD/thesis/research
- If you are currently reading and collecting references then we recommend you upgrade now:
- As the new RefWorks has better PDF storage and annotation options.
- Before you start inserting references using the Word toolbar.
- If you are partway through writing your thesis/research and have already inserted a large amount of references using the Word toolbar
- Be aware that new RefWorks will not work with citations and references already inserted into existing documents with legacy RefWorks.
- This means that if you upgrade now you will need to re-insert the references using new RefWorks.
- RefWorks are looking at whether they can solve this problem and we hope to hear something by the end of the year.
- We will be working on to helping users upgrade to new RefWorks by the end of 2018, as legacy RefWorks may no longer be available after that date.
- For information on how to upgrade go to Updating to New RefWorks.
Still not sure when to upgrade? Email email@example.com for advice and to arrange for training on new RefWorks.